Silicon Carbide Whisker
Silicon carbide whisker used as reinforcement materials for ceramics, metals and plastics
Tateho successfully commercialized silicon carbide whiskers and silicon nitride whiskers from 1981 to 1982, by making full use of our crystal growth technology and firing control technology.
Tateho realized the mass-production of whiskers with our own technology, although it had been said to be difficult.
Whisker is also called "beard crystals", and it is a fine short fibrous crystal with few defects and has extremely high strength.
Therefore, it has high strength, high modulus of elasticity, high hardness, excellent heat resistance and corrosion resistance.
It is used as reinforcement materials for ceramics, metal and plastics composites.
1. When it is used as a reinforcement material for composite materials, its high aspect ratio improves those mechanical properties.
2. It is chemically stable and excellent in thermal conductivity.
3. Since it is non-eluting, it can be used for fluororesin and ceramics which contact with food directly.
4. It can be dispersed in water, so it is available for fluorine resin emulsion.
5. It has very high dielectric constant and loss tangent.
• Reinforcement materials for hard ceramics used in cutting tools
– For turbines and jet engines
• Reinforcement materials for hard ceramics for wear resistant applications
– Excellent abrasion resistance than hardened steels
• Ceramics capable of microwave heating
– For cooking and industrial heating
• Reinforcement materials for plastics
Silicon Carbide Whisker Silar®
Tateho provide Siler® silicon carbide whisker by Haydale Technologies Inc.
*Silar® is the registered trademark of Haydale Technologies Inc.
*Tateho Chemical Industries, Ltd. is the general agency of Silar® in Japan.
Physical Properties (Typical)
|Diameter (10-6m)||0.45 ～ 0.65|
|Length (10-6m)||5 ～ 80|
|Free carbon (％)||0.05 ～ 0.30|
|SiO2 (％)||0.35 ～ 0.75|
The Application: Sllar® Microwave Grill
The Silar® Microwave Grill and the Silar® Microwave Flatstone are revolutionizing industrial microwave cooking.
These products are innovative ceramic composite microwave heatable oven inserts that have changed the speed- quality cooking paradigm, providing higher quality foods cooked evenly and uniformly.
Silar® microwave heatable oven inserts rise to cooking temperatures in as little as five seconds, and can reduce cook times by up to 90%.